Well I have this dream.
It's been brewing now for about a year and it all started after attending IJM's Global Prayer Gathering last year in Washington D.C. At the conference my eyes were opened to the issue of modern day slavery. My heart was forever changed, at least I pray that it will stay that way. But the issue that cut me to the core was the sex slave industry. Women, young girls, and children who are day in and day out facing horrific acts. Not only do these women need to experience freedom from their captures but they also will need their hearts and souls to be set free. The work of the aftercare facilities is crucial. I am so thankful for the work that IJM is doing and do my best to stay updated through their websites.
http://www.ijminstitute.org/
A college student friend of mine recently challenged me to listen to this message that she heard while attending Urbana '09. (Thanks Kim!)
Again my heart was burdened to Pray and Seek God's direction and to Dream Big. To start sharing my dream with others and to pray that God would bring people and events into my life that I can partner with to see this come about.
So here's my DREAM.
To one day partner with an aftercare facility in South East Asia. To help them facilitate the care that these girls need. To do whatever I can to aid them in their loving care for these girls and to be able to take on some of the burden that they carry in caring for them. To learn from them. Pray with me. Dream with me. And let's see how Great and Big our God really is!
What's your dream?
Missy, this is a beautiful post. No matter how busy life gets or how "pulled" we feel, it's so important to keep on dreaming....and to realize how LOVELY OUR LIVES ARE...even in the midst of what we label suffering/hardships/stress. THANK YOU for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteI have a dream of doing short term missions with our entire family....even as early as next year. WE JUST WANT OUR KIDS TO KNOW THAT THIS LIFE ISN'T ALL ABOUT THEM!!!!
Have a great weekend and I pray that you have all the strength you need for the moment!
Janelle
I loved this post, Missy.
ReplyDeleteActually, I've been toying around with a thought (not particularly a 'dream') of having a "Girl's Night Out Gala" at a lovely location (AMT perhaps?)- chance for women and their girfriends to dig out something glamerous, have somewhere to go in it, without having to spend too much money to do so! A big part of the evening would be (in some way) highlighting the dreams JUST LIKE YOURS...i'd love for women like you, Laurel Greer and others I know who have dreams that should be shared. Again, since you asked, i'm sharing some of the 'rough draft' thoughts of mine. But since i'm social, enjoy organizing such things and have a myriad of friends whose dreams have the possibility of making a significant, deep impact in the lives of children/women, maybe God is at work in orchestrating something special. He always is, and it's an adventure sometimes discovering all the details. I love hearing that your eyes are open and your heart is in tune to the 'mission' that is uniquely yours and His. Thank you, thank you for sharing....
Hey missy- you know about Love146, right? Oh yeah,I just saw it on your sidebar :)
ReplyDeleteMy dream is to continue to give people who have walked through major brokenness in their lives the truth that there is a way out-Jesus... and that there is hope...
Another dream is to move to Vietnam and work in a children's home- supporting/serving families so that they don't feel compelled to sell their children just to feed their other children....
Have a great week!
I have always wanted to go to the IJM Prayer Gathering but I didn't know anyone who goes. Love this post... My passion for this very kind of thing is kind of all pent up inside of me. Makes me just want to forget life as we know it and move the whole family to China to take care of orphans. There are people who do just that! I am having trouble finding something in between that extreme and just writing a check every month. Adopting Grace has been amazing but it has only made me more restless in this area. Love the Gala idea... would love to hear from other like-minded women and put on a nice dress at the same time=)
ReplyDelete