create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Harvest Season.

This past month I have been learning the art of canning. I have always been a bit intimidated by the process and have always chosen to freeze. But b/c I purchased 1/3 of a steer, 60 lbs. of blueberries, and 2 bushels of green beans this summer; AND shoved them all in my freezer, I decided it was time to learn to can. I got my feet wet by making 40 quarts of tomato sauce with two great friends, Melissa Rice and Krista Hubbard. Thankfully they allowed me to join them in trying to perfect their recipe. They did a great job and my family loves it! But boy was that a long day.
August also called for "doing corn". I usually do this at my mom's house with members of her family and my grandparents. I missed grandpa being there this year. He always kept the husking process moving : )
But my latest canning experience was with my step-grandmother, Millie Shellenberger. She graciously gave up her time to teach me how to can applesauce. She did a wonderful job of getting the kids involved too. She had them take off any stickers and then wash all the apples. The end result was a delicious pink-tinted applesauce. Thank you to all of you who passed on to me the art of canning...and I'll be sure to pass it on!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! That's super impressive! I'd love to learn to can also, but don't know anyone around me to help me. (My mom use to do it but obviously she's not close by) Wish I could have been there learning with you from Krista. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...