We have literally been counting down for a long time! Katie and I both. Katie because she was so excited to start first grade, and me because it was my official due date. Last night when I was tucking Katie into bed, she commented "I'm so glad I am finally starting school tomorrow, now I can finally think about something else for a change."
Katie is super organized, (I'm not sure who she got that from) but has been so excited to use her new back pack, matching lunch box (with special compartments), and pencil case. She had so much fun picking them out and was anticipating their use. So you can understand why I panicked last night when I pulled her lunch box out and realized that the zipper was already busted. I knew their would be tears. (I guess you get what you pay for).
So I broke the news to her, and did my best to give her some options about what we could do. She was upset but actually handled the situation better than I anticipated. We decided to hit up L.L. Bean. And everything was so cheap b/c school already started everywhere else!
Here is the the much anticipated backpack and lunch box...


We ducked taped the inside of her old backpack (because there was a whole and it is very worn out) and I was so thankful that she was even excited to use it until the new one comes! This whole process really showed me how much Katie is maturing, and I could see God working in her heart. (It was one of those "AH HA" mom moments).
So this morning at 6:00 a.m., as I was dead asleep, Eric said Katie came out completely dressed and wanted to make sure that she wasn't late for school. She didn't want to be late and knows my track record I guess...
Katie - what an exciting time for you starting first grade. Apply yourself in your studies. Learning is fun and will open so many new understandings for you. I love to hear your read to me! It will be fun making new friends, too. Your outfit looks great on you! And your new back pack/lunch box - WOW. You are growing up in so many ways. I see self-confrol, kindness, and honesty in your life. Love you so much - Grandma
ReplyDeleteMissy,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely LOVE finding time to read your Blog. What great memories you are keeping for your children. They make me laugh and get teary-eyed too sometimes! I'm constantly telling Mitch to come over and read your posts. Keep 'em coming. You have such a beautiful family and a beautiful heart. Love you!